Tell Me What You Think

Tell Me What You Think: If you have a comment after reading a post, please leave one. It helps spark discussion and potentially future posts on this site.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Dub Step

To quote the great Christopher Walken, "I've got a fever, and the only cure is" more Dub Step!  I first learned of this new dance craze from watching So You Think You Can Dance.  One of the surprising final few male dancers is a guy named Cyrus, aka "Glitch".  Here is a clip of him and two other dancers doing what they do best...Dub Step.  He is the third to go. 
 
 
 
Dub Step is an eclectic mix of some ticking and gliding moves that are choreographically synced to its own genre of music which takes hard hitting base and mixes in different tempos of electronic/robotic sounds.  Essentially it is what you would imagine Transformers listening to back on their home planet Cybertron.  When the moves are seen in combination with the various tempos of music and unique sounds, it is an amazing experience like no other.  Here is one great example.
 
 

 
I have certainly taken a strong interest in this genre of music and dance over the past week or so.  I find myself watching countless videos and listening to the Dub Step station on Pandora at times.  What I find so amazing is the unconventional ways of moving that each dancer demonstrates and their ability to match their movements to the music in such a way that seems as though they are linked together.  Here is one last clip that you must watch.  These are some of the best examples I have found and would love to hear some comments from anyone who is also as captivated as I am. 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. I started listening to dub step about 10 months ago...and never looked back. As someone with classical training in music who trained at a conservatory and as a result became really jaded to popular music and haven't really listened to the radio since...when I started playing League of Legends and watched the streams for the Championship tournaments and heard the music that was playing...I became instantly hooked. It's like everything that I hate about popular music (the fake sounds and computerized voices) came together to make a genre that doesn’t fake what it is...it's all digital and it's all AMAZING. Transformer Music is EXACTLY what this is...and I love it. Emily hates it...like hates it. But how they are able to make melodies out of digitized sounds just blows me away. I think the dancing is cool and this music makes you want to move for sure, but from a learned musical perspective this music is the future for sure...I see these artist as composers and I have dabbled in trying to make my own dub step at home...and it’s hard work. :) - Fred

    ReplyDelete