Tell Me What You Think

Tell Me What You Think: If you have a comment after reading a post, please leave one. It helps spark discussion and potentially future posts on this site.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Dwight Howard Fiasco

If you have ever turned your TV to ESPN in the past year, or any other sports related program, you will no doubt have seen that Dwight Howard from the Orlando Magic wants to be traded.  Prior to the Olympics in London starting it was nearly all that ESPN covered.  And that worst part is that I got sucked into the all of the drama and would watch the same broadcast repeatedly to see any new information on the ticker tape updating the developing story.


One thing you should know about me before I go on is that I have been a Los Angeles Lakers fan for several years now, much to the disappointment of my close friends and family.  Another thing I should say about myself is that I don’t believe I am a traditional fan and by that I mean, I seem to have more allegiance to individual players I enjoy watching, rather than a specific team.  I live in Oregon where we have not had a truly successful Portland Trail Blazers team since the Clyde Drexler, Cliff Robinson, and Terry Porter days.  And back then I considered myself a fan of those players, even if I was just about 5 or 6 years old.

As I got more into basketball and particularly the NBA, I started to branch out my fan base to other players in the league.  When Clyde Drexler went to the Houston Rockets it got me watching Hakeem Olajuwon, or Akeem depending on the year of the basketball card you may have, and I grew into a fan of his finesse style of play around the rim.  I also became a huge fan of the Orlando Magic team that boasted an incredible roster of Anfernee Hardaway, Dennis Scott, Nick Anderson, Horace Grant and of course Shaquille O’Neal.  As I watched them develop into an almost unstoppable force in the NBA, and unfortunately lose to the Houston Rockets in the 1994-’95 NBA Finals against some of my other favorite players, I was stunned when Shaquille O’Neal left Orlando in the 1996-’97 season for the Los Angeles Lakers. 

This is one benefit of not having an intense devotion to a single team because instead of experiencing unnecessary agony and grief over Orlando’s loss of arguably one of the most dominant forces the NBA has ever seen, I simply started watching him as a Laker while continuing to cheer for Anfernee Hardaway on the Magic.  Many of you may know that the 1996-’97 season was also the first of Kobe Bryant’s career in the NBA and it couldn’t have come at a better time for me as a fan.  Naturally I was watching a lot of Laker games and quickly saw the incredible potential of Kobe to be an amazing player, as well as hearing about all the media hype surrounding this teenager coming directly from high school into the NBA. 

Over the years I have been so lucky to watch some of my favorite players win NBA Championships, specifically the Lakers battle against the Blazers on many occasions in the playoffs while my die hard Blazer fan friends watch in disgust.  The most current phenoms in the NBA are undeniably Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Dwight Howard, Kevin Love, Carmelo Anthony, Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant to name a few.  Out of this short list I tend to want to cheer the most for Dwight Howard and Kevin Durant.  Dwight Howard now finds himself in a similar state that Shaq was in while playing with the Magic.  He is currently the most dominant center in the NBA, he is a dream for the media due to his extroverted personality and sense of humor, and he is considering joining the Los Angeles Lakers as his next team in his NBA career. 
One would think that as a Lakers fan, or more simply a huge fan of Kobe and Derek Fisher (former Laker), that I would be excited that a great basketball player like Dwight would join the team of my favorite player today.  Well you would be unfortunately mistaken.  There has been so much controversy over his impending trade and a lot of it has to do with how he has conducted himself with the organization and the media.  It has been well documented that Dwight had many issues with the Magic head coach Stan Van Gundy and allegedly spoke enough of his concerns to management, that Stan was eventually fired this year.  On top of that, Dwight has essentially demanded a trade to the Brooklyn Nets which has fallen through the cracks.  He continues to say that he will not sign another contract with the Magic and the team has explored options with the Rockets and Lakers most recently. 

Here is my concern…the Lakers are in such a spotlight with the media that should Dwight come to L.A. he will most certainly continue to cause organizational issues, since there is apparently no such thing as bad press.  Should Dwight get traded to L.A. it would mean that Andrew Bynum, the Lakers current big man, would be sent off to another team, and the two of them are nearly the same player.  Both have extreme height and length in a league that is lacking in the center position, both are major drama queens but when Dwight complains he does so to the media where as Bynum simply stops playing hard and doesn’t join team huddles during timeouts, both are somewhat injury prone and most importantly both have a year left on their contracts. 
As much as I would like to see the Lakers improve their athleticism with the addition of Dwight, I don’t think it would improve their overall effectiveness in the league.  They may be better suited with keeping Bynum who they are learning how to better manage his emotions as opposed to bringing in a new talent that has already shown he has the means and determination to drive out staff he does not appreciate. 

Having said all of that, I will certainly embrace the addition of Dwight when it happens, since I do believe this trade will happen and he does live in L.A. in the summers and will be much more in the limelight, where his talents belong.  I also expect that this will happen before the next season begins and that a year from now the same discussion will occur, only in L.A., since he will not sign an extension until he is a free agent next year so he can earn a larger financial contract. 

The thing to remember as you read this and likely have accusations in your mind about me being too soon to forget his media mishaps and too willing to embrace his skills, is that superstar athletes have the benefit of being able to act inappropriately off the court, and sometimes ridiculously inappropriate, and yet still manage to win over the hearts of the nation as they put the masses in awe and wonder with their athletic prowess.  This is consistent through NBA history from Wilt being infamous for having sex with some 2,000 women, to Michael Jordan having had an affair, to the rape charge that Kobe Bryant faced not all that long ago.  All in all, Dwight Howard has not committed any offenses as close to any of these just mentioned and the memories of his actions over the past several months will hopefully be replaced by numerous NBA Championships for him, Kobe and Nash…do I dare say 3 peat.  I had to throw that last bit in for my Blazer fan friends who probably hate me right now.    

1 comment: